Avertir le modérateur

11/12/2009

Afghanistan - Bombardement de civils à Kunduz: quel rôle a joué le KSK ? Kunduz Air strike

nato-dead-donkey-afp-dt.jpg

 

La frappe aérienne du 4 septembre qui, selon l'Otan, aurait fait jusqu'à 142 morts, dont de nombreux civils, avait été ordonnée par un commandant allemand à Kunduz, dans le nord de l'Afghanistan, après le vol par les talibans de deux camions-citernes remplis d'essence.

M. zu Guttenberg a indiqué que l'Allemagne accorderait des dédommagements aux familles des victimes du bombardement.

Il est "important, particulièrement en raison des événements de Kunduz de nouer le contact avec la population civile" pour "trouver des solutions adaptées à la culture locale". "Il est clair que nous devons trouver une solution (...) qui aide les gens sur place", a-t-il insisté, reconnaissant qu'"on ne pourra jamais réparer" la "souffrance terrible" causée par ce raid.

La presse allemande avait révélé jeudi que plusieurs officiers de la KSK (une unité d'élite) avaient pris par à la préparation et à la mise en oeuvre de l'attaque.

"La question de savoir si et comment des unités d'élites (de l'armée, KSK) ont participé (à l'attaque) fait partie des points sur lesquels la commission d'enquête (parlementaire) travaille", a dit le ministre.

"Je dois savoir ce qui c'est passé" et "quand on en saura plus alors l'opinion publique devra être tenue au courant", a déclaré M. zu Guttenberg, qui a succédé fin octobre au poste de ministre de la Défense à Franz Josef Jung.

Des révélations de la presse allemande sur l'étouffement par le ministère de la Défense d'une enquête interne sur le bombardement aérien avaient entraîné fin novembre la démission de M. Jung, alors au poste de ministre du Travail, ainsi que du chef d'état-major, le général Wolfgang Schneiderhan, et d'un secrétaire d'Etat à la Défense, Peter Wichert.

A la question de savoir s'il avait des reproches à se faire, M. zu Guttenberg a répondu par l'affirmatif sur un point: Celui d'avoir qualifié le raid d'approprié dans un premier temps avant d'avoir corrigé publiquement ses propos par la suite.

"Quand on fait une mauvaise estimation alors on doit la corriger publiquement", a-t-il dit, soulignant que cette estimation avait été prise à l'époque sur la base des éléments qui lui avaient été fournis.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hfk6Vzpjs2Z66Rum3xPshloQsQDw

 

Photo: DPA

Berlin re-evaluates deadly Kunduz air strike

Published: 30 Nov 09 12:16 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20091130-23615.html

German Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg on Monday said Berlin would re-evaluate a controversial NATO air strike in Afghanistan that left scores of civilians dead and led to the resignation of his predecessor.

Guttenberg told the the newspaper Bild that he would not hesitate to change his previous assessment of the September 4 bombardment near the northern Afghan city of Kunduz should it be warranted by newly available information.

“It’s clear that mistakes were made at the scene, both before and after the air strike,” Guttenberg said. “It will be determined by the current inquiry if the now available documents put these mistakes in a different light.”

Former Defence Minister Franz Josef Jung and Bundeswehr Chief of Staff Gen. Wolfgang Schneiderhan resigned last week amid revelations the Defence Ministry had withheld information about the air strike called by Col. Georg Klein to destroy two fuel trucks hijacked by the Taliban.

Jung, who had since taken up the labour portfolio in Chancellor Angela Merkel’s cabinet, initially defended the air strike as militarily necessary and was slow to acknowledge it had killed scores of civilians. Guttenberg also defended Klein’s actions in early November, leaving him open to criticism from the opposition that he either did so before having all the facts or was also being willingly deceptive to protect Jung.

The Cologne-based daily Stadt-Anzeiger reported on Monday that defence policy officials at the Chancellery had determined the bombardment was not militarily necessary even before Germany’s September 27 general election. Citing high-ranking government sources, the paper said it was clear long before Guttenberg became defence minister that Klein could face legal proceedings for his actions.

The opposition in parliament is now preparing to open an official inquiry into the matter.

A Defence Ministry official told the Stadt-Anzeiger that Klein considered his current situation “extremely horrific” and that the government’s goal was to keep him away from the public as much as possible.

The colonel, who decided to call in the air strike rather than attempt to retake the fuel trucks with other means, entered a therapeutic Kur treatment in mid-November, according the newspaper.

The Local (news@thelocal.de)

 

Photo: DPA

KSK special forces involved in Kunduz strike

Published: 10 Dec 09 11:39 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20091210-23857.html

Members of the German military’s elite KSK special forces played a key role in a NATO air strike in Afghanistan that killed scores of civilians, daily Bild reported on Thursday.

Citing Bundeswehr sources, the paper said Col. Georg Klein was in charge of the secret Task Force 47 the night he ordered the attack near the northern Afghan city of Kunduz on September 4. The special ops unit reportedly has its own command structure at the nearby German base and KSK soldiers make up about half of its ranks. Their duties include hunting Taliban and terrorists in the region.

Bild said that according to NATO’s rules of engagement, Klein only would have been able to call in the deadly air strike as the commander of TF47. A KSK officer from the unit telephoned with an Afghan informant around seven times the night of the attack on two fuel trucks hijacked by the Taliban. The informant identified four Taliban leaders at the scene.

The paper said members of Germany’s parliamentary defence committee were first informed of the existence of TF47 on November 6, the same day that Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg said the air strike had been “militarily appropriate.” He has since admitted the attack was a mistake due to the high number of civilian casualties.

Following the resignations last month of the Bundeswehr's chief of staff and his predecessor at the Defence Ministry, Franz Josef Jung, Guttenberg vowed a thorough investigation into accusations German defence officials withheld information about the air strike.

But new revelations are putting Guttenberg under increasing political pressure for his initial assessment of the incident.

Weekly magazine Stern said on Wednesday that the minister had access early on to report by the International Red Cross that deemed the bombardment contrary to international law and responsible for the deaths of at least 74 civilians.

The Red Cross also said it was “unlikely” that the fuel trucks ever could have been converted into rolling bombs to attack German troops in Afghanistan and there was no “imminent threat” for the German base near Kunduz.

Greens MP and parliamentary defence committee member Omid Nouripour told daily Berliner Zeitung on Thursday he was concerned the German government might have attempted to influence the findings of NATO’s investigation into the incident.

“Was there political influence from the German side in order to massage the report? The NATO report is still clear enough to determine the attack was not appropriate,” Nouripour told the paper. “Guttenberg should have noticed that then.”

A parliamentary inquiry looking into the matter will take up its work next week.

DDP/The Local (news@thelocal.de)

 

 

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/world-news/2009/12/10/kunduz-air-strike-new-details/german-ksk-special-forces-involved-in-bombing.html

 

 

déja vu sur Probe:

Où en est l' enquête sur la mort de Sultan Munadi - Probe into reporter's death

http://probe.20minutes-blogs.fr/archive/2009/10/16/ou-en-est-l-enquete-sur-la-mort-de-sultan-munadi-probe-into.html

 

Sultan M. Munadi, journaliste au New York Times à Kabul, enquêtait sur le bombardement de Kunduz.

09sultan-190.jpg

http://probe.20minutes-blogs.fr/archive/2009/09/09/sultan-m-munadi-journaliste-au-new-york-times-a-kabul-enquet.html

 

 

Bombardement OTAN à Kubduz - OTAN Air strike - Toujours autant de zones d'ombres...

kunduz2.jpg

http://probe.20minutes-blogs.fr/archive/2009/09/05/polemiques-sur-le-bombardement-otan-a-kubduz-otan-air-strike.html

 

 

21:48 | Lien permanent | Commentaires (0) |

Les commentaires sont fermés.

 
Toute l'info avec 20minutes.fr, l'actualité en temps réel Toute l'info avec 20minutes.fr : l'actualité en temps réel | tout le sport : analyses, résultats et matchs en direct
high-tech | arts & stars : toute l'actu people | l'actu en images | La une des lecteurs : votre blog fait l'actu